When you are a denture wearer, it is important to clean your dentures on a daily basis. Natural teeth should be brushed everyday, and dentures are no different!
The pink portion of a denture (called the “denture base”) is actually a porous material. If you were to study it under a microscope, you would find millions of tiny “holes”. These holes will pick up fluids, odors and bacteria and if not cleaned regularly, will cause staining, bad breath and build-up very quickly.
Although there are many denture cleaners available for you to purchase at your local supermarket or drug store, the number of choices can often be somewhat confusing. In reality, all you need to do is soak your dentures for a few minutes a day in a good quality cleaner, then brush them under running tap water. That’s it!
At Norland Denture Centre, we are proud to carry NU-DENT denture cleaner. NU-DENT powder is an excellent, professional strength cleaner that is highly effective and out-performs most drug store products.
To clean your dentures with NU-DENT, simply do the following:
- Sprinkle approximately 1/3 of a teaspoon of NU-DENT powder into a small cup of warm water.
- Place your dentures in the water, and soak for about twenty minutes.
- Brush your dentures, one at a time, under running tap water with a quality denture brush to remove any stains or debris.
Important tips to remember…
- NEVER brush your dentures with toothpaste! Toothpaste contains fine abrasives which will scratch the highly polished surfaces of your dentures. These microscopic scratches will attract bacteria and stains like a magnet; hence, the more you brush your dentures with toothpaste, the dirtier they will get.
- Soak your dentures daily. Soaking in a quality product such as NU-DENT for twenty minutes a day is all you need. This daily habit will prevent tough stains and buildup, which can be difficult to remove if left too long.
- Remove your dentures at night for the long term health of your gums. A denture is a foreign object which restricts natural blood flow around the tissues and bone of your ridges. This can cause your gums to shrink faster. Removing them at night allows your ridges to rest and rejuvenate, keeping your mouth healthier over the course of your lifetime.
- Place your dentures in clean water overnight. This will keep them hydrated and prevent warping.
- It is not recommended to soak your dentures in cleaner overnight. A highly concentrated cleaner can harm your teeth if used improperly. Twenty minutes a day is all you need.